Flora Vista is a small town in San Juan County, New Mexico. It lies on the west side of the county and has a population of around 3,500 people. Geographically, it is nestled among the Chuska Mountains and is surrounded by breathtaking views of mesas, foothills, and sandstone cliffs. The climate here is generally mild with hot summers and cold winters.
The history of Flora Vista dates back to the mid-1800s when it was occupied by Navajo people. In the late 1800s, settlers began to move in and homesteads were established. By the early 1900s, Flora Vista had become an important trading center for local farmers and ranchers.
The politics of Flora Vista are mainly centered around local issues such as education, crime prevention, infrastructure development, economic development, etc. The economy of Flora Vista is based mainly on agriculture and tourism; however, there are also some light manufacturing businesses that have been established in recent years.
Schools in Flora Vista are served by the Central Consolidated School District which includes elementary schools, middle schools and high schools throughout San Juan County as well as two charter schools located within Flora Vista’s city limits.
There are several landmarks located within or near Flora Vista that attract visitors from all over including Chaco Canyon National Historical Park which has been designated a World Heritage Site; Fajada Butte which features ancient petroglyphs carved into its sides; Aztec Ruins National Monument; Salmon Ruins Historic Site; Bisti Badlands Wilderness Area; Ute Mountain Tribal Park; Mesa Verde National Park; Four Corners Monument; Shiprock Peak; Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park; and many others.
Males: 699 (50.5%), Females: 684 (49.5%)
San Juan County
Zip code: 87415
Median resident age: 40.1 years
Median household income: $46,157
Median house value: $136,800
Races in Flora Vista:
- White Non-Hispanic (77.9%)
- Hispanic (17.8%)
- Other race (5.2%)
- American Indian (4.8%)
- Two or more races (3.9%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (16.5%), English (15.0%), Irish (11.9%), United States (8.0%), Scottish (5.6%), Scotch-Irish (3.8%).
Elevation: 5507 feet
Land area: 2.0 square miles
Flora Vista, New Mexico is a small town located in San Juan County. The population of Flora Vista is estimated to be around 2,500 people. The majority of the population is comprised of families and retirees. The cost of living in Flora Vista is relatively low compared to other towns in the area due to its rural location. Housing costs are quite reasonable, with an average two-bedroom home costing around $150,000. Utilities are also very affordable, with electricity averaging around $50 per month and water averaging around $30 per month. Groceries and other goods are also reasonably priced due to the local stores and markets that offer competitive prices for everyday items. Transportation costs can be kept low as well since there are no public transportation options available in Flora Vista, making it easy for residents to get around town by car or bike. Overall, Flora Vista provides a pleasant and affordable atmosphere for its citizens to live in.
For population 25 years and over in Flora Vista
- High school or higher: 77.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 16.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.9%
- Unemployed: 1.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 32.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Flora Vista CDP
- Never married: 16.1%
- Now married: 60.9%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 7.7%
- Divorced: 13.1%
0.0% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Flora Vista:
- LIFECOURSE CENTER FOR REHAB SERVICES (about 15 miles; FARMINGTON, NM)
- SAN JUAN REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER INC (about 15 miles; FARMINGTON, NM)
- MERCY MEDICAL CENTER OF DURANGO (about 38 miles; DURANGO, CO)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Flora Vista:
- FOUR CORNERS REGIONAL (about 11 miles; FARMINGTON, NM; Abbreviation: FMN)
- DURANGO-LA PLATA COUNTY (about 34 miles; DURANGO, CO; Abbreviation: DRO)
- CORTEZ MUNI (about 51 miles; CORTEZ, CO; Abbreviation: CEZ)
Other public-use airports nearest to Flora Vista:
- AZTEC MUNI (about 6 miles; AZTEC, NM; Abbreviation: Q19)
- NAVAJO STATE PARK (about 30 miles; NAVAJO DAM, NM; Abbreviation: 1V0)
- ANIMAS AIR PARK (about 32 miles; DURANGO, CO; Abbreviation: 00C)
According to andyeducation, New Mexico has the following colleges and schools:
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Flora Vista:
- SAN JUAN COLLEGE (about 5 miles; FARMINGTON, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,837)
- FORT LEWIS COLLEGE (about 38 miles; DURANGO, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,051)
- WESTERN STATE COLLEGE COLORADO (about 153 miles; GUNNISON, CO; Full-time enrollment: 2,199)
- UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX-ALBUQUERQUE NM CAMPUS (about 155 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 3,261)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO-MAIN CAMPUS (about 156 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 18,780)
- ALBUQUERQUE TECHNICAL VOCATIONAL INSTITUTE (about 156 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 9,188)
- ADAMS STATE COLLEGE (about 160 miles; ALAMOSA, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,147)