Moriarty, New Mexico is located in Torrance County and has a population of around 4,400 people. The city lies in the eastern part of the state and is surrounded by the Manzano Mountains to the east and the Estancia Valley to the west. It has a semi-arid climate with mild winters and hot summers.
The town was founded in 1881 when two ranchers, Jack Moriarty and Bill O’Brien, established a stagecoach station along the Cimarron Cutoff of the Santa Fe Trail. The original settlement was called Two Guns but was eventually renamed Moriarty after Jack’s death. Since then, Moriarty has grown into a thriving community with a variety of businesses.
The economy of Moriarty is largely based on agriculture and ranching as well as tourism. There are several popular tourist attractions including historic sites such as Fort Union National Monument, which was once an important military post during the Civil War period. There are also numerous art galleries, museums, restaurants, shops and other attractions that draw visitors from all over New Mexico.
In terms of education, Moriarty is served by several public schools within the Estancia Valley Schools district including Moriarty High School and Elementary School which both offer programs for students from kindergarten through twelfth grade. The city also has two private schools: Calvary Chapel Academy and Moriah Christian Academy that offer religious-based education for elementary aged children up to eighth grade level.
Moriarty is home to several landmarks such as Jack’s Cafe which opened back in 1925 and still serves traditional American food today; Fort Union National Monument; Mabry-Hazen House Museum; Old Town Plaza; East Mountain Lookout Tower; Estancia Valley Winery & Bistro; Earthships Biotecture Visitor Center; Flying J Ranch Park & Zoo; Estancia Valley Aquatic Center; Moriarty Civic Center & Library; Manzano Mountain State Park among many others that make it an interesting place to visit or live in!
Population: 1,765. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,808 (+2.4% change)
Males: 817 (46.3%), Females: 948 (53.7%)
Zip code: 87035
Median resident age: 32.0 years
Median household income: $25,150
Median house value: $84,400
Races in Moriarty:
- White Non-Hispanic (55.4%)
- Hispanic (40.8%)
- Other race (18.8%)
- Two or more races (4.2%)
- American Indian (3.3%)
- Black (0.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (12.5%), United States (10.9%), English (10.1%), Irish (9.6%), Italian (4.1%), French (2.8%).
Elevation: 6217 feet
Land area: 4.8 square miles
Moriarty, New Mexico is a small town located in the foothills of the Manzano Mountains. It has a population of just over 2,000 people and is known for its rural charm. The town is home to a diverse mix of cultures and backgrounds, including Native American, Hispanic, and Anglo-American.
The cost of living in Moriarty is lower than the national average, with housing prices being much more affordable than other areas in New Mexico. The median home value in Moriarty is $112,000 and the median household income is $45,700. This makes it an attractive option for those looking to live in a rural area without breaking the bank. Public transportation options are limited but there are plenty of options for car owners to get around town. The local economy consists mainly of agriculture and ranching with some retail businesses sprinkled in between. There are also some light manufacturing jobs available as well as opportunities for tourism related businesses. Overall, Moriarty offers a unique rural lifestyle that can be enjoyed by all who call it home.
For population 25 years and over in Moriarty
- High school or higher: 76.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 11.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.2%
- Unemployed: 6.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 33.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Moriarty city
- Never married: 23.2%
- Now married: 45.6%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 10.3%
- Divorced: 18.7%
2.5% Foreign born (1.7% Latin America, 0.6% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +343 (+24.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Moriarty:
- ST VINCENT HOSPITAL (about 31 miles; SANTA FE, NM)
- LOVELACE HEALTH SYSTEMS INC (about 38 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM)
- HEALTHSOUTH REHABILITATION HOSPITAL (about 38 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Moriarty:
- ALBUQUERQUE INTL SUNPORT (about 39 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Abbreviation: ABQ)
- SIERRA BLANCA REGIONAL (about 113 miles; RUIDOSO, NM; Abbreviation: SRR)
- HOLLOMAN AFB (about 148 miles; ALAMOGORDO, NM; Abbreviation: HMN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Moriarty:
- MORIARTY (about 4 miles; MORIARTY, NM; Abbreviation: 0E0)
- SANDIA AIRPARK ESTATES EAST (about 11 miles; EDGEWOOD, NM; Abbreviation: 1N1)
- ESTANCIA MUNI (about 18 miles; ESTANCIA, NM; Abbreviation: E92)
Colleges and Universities
According to educationvv, New Mexico is home to the following higher educational institutes:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Moriarty:
- UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX-ALBUQUERQUE NM CAMPUS (about 38 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 3,261)
- ALBUQUERQUE TECHNICAL VOCATIONAL INSTITUTE (about 40 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 9,188)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO-MAIN CAMPUS (about 44 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 18,780)
- NEW MEXICO HIGHLANDS UNIVERSITY (about 79 miles; LAS VEGAS, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,278)
- ADAMS STATE COLLEGE (about 171 miles; ALAMOSA, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,147)
- SAN JUAN COLLEGE (about 191 miles; FARMINGTON, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,837)
- NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 194 miles; LAS CRUCES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 12,562)
Public high school in Moriarty:
- MORIARTY HIGH (Students: 1,301; Location: 203 CENTER STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Moriarty:
- MORIARTY ELEMENTARY (Students: 552; Location: 2010 SCHOOL LOOP; Grades: PK – 06)
- MOUNTAINVIEW ELEM (Students: 486; Location: 2422 HWY 333; Grades: PK – 06)
- MORIARTY MIDDLE (Students: 346; Location: 200 CENTER STREET; Grades: 07 – 08)
Library in Moriarty:
- MORIARTY COMMUNITY LIBRARY (Operating income: $94,596; Location: 201 SOUTH BROADWAY; 14,702 books; 289 audio materials; 462 video materials; 29 serial subscriptions)